You’re tired, weary, groggy and disoriented. Then suddenly your aircraft touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok -pronounced ‘soo-wan-na-room’. No one is meeting you and you need to figure out how to get to your hotel. Everyone around seems to be speaking some strange language. You need to exchange money and look at those long lines at the immigration counters….
Welcome To Suvarnabhumi Airport Thailand
The unwritten laws of an international kick in about now. If you get lucky passing through customs, your bag will likely get delayed. Be prepared to practice the art of patience.
The six-step process at Suvarnabhumi Airport as follows ;
To safely navigate your way through the airport and arrivals the process can be broken down into six easy steps. They are as follows:
- Step 1 : Disembark from the aircraft
- Step 2 : Show passport and Immigration Card TM6 at the Immigration Control Counter
- Step 3 : Wait for luggage, at baggage claim carousel No. 6-23
- Step 4 : Pass through the customs checkpoint.
- Step 5 : Move to arrival hall 2nd floor (Exit B and C)
- Step 6 : Safely leave the airport
The process explained in detail for your information :
Suvarnabhumi Airport -Thai Immigration
You will get herded to the immigration arrivals area where you will likely spend from 15 minutes – 3 hours waiting for your passport to get stamped most foreign nationals get a visa on arrival but you can get a Thai Visa from a consulate overseas. You will be handed an arrival card on your airport called a TM6 card complete this before your reach immigration as the completed document needs to be handed to the immigration officer along with your passport for checking. Thai immigration officials generally ask no questions. So that part, other than the waiting in line, is relatively painless. You can find general information if you Click Here about Suvarnabhumi Airport Bangkok Thailand.
Baggage Collection Bangkok Airport Thailand
Next step is collecting baggage and dealing with customs. Part of the experience here will be pleasant since baggage carts are free.
Thai Customs & Procedures
If you only have personal items such as camera, clothing, notebook computer and the like, check “nothing to declare” on the customs declaration form and look for a “green channel”. If you have declarable items, list them appropriately and look for the “red channel”.
Green Channel (Nothing to Declare) at Suvarnabhumi Airport.
For a passenger who has the following only:
- Personal belonging in a reasonable amount for owner’s use and the total value not exceeding 10,000 baht (not restricted/prohibited items or provision)
- – 200 cigarettes or 250 gm of tobacco or cigars, or altogether weight not more than 250 gm at the maximum
The exceeding amount must be dropped in the Customs boxes to avoid being prosecuted.
Red Channel (Goods to Declare) at Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- Items that you did not have when you left Thailand and their quantities are not reasonable for personal use or/and the total value of belongings is more than 10,000 baht
- Items that are intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes e.g. molds
- Prohibited Items
- They are goods for which either the import into or export out of the Kingdom is prohibited, e.g.,
- Obscene items, and publications
- Counterfeit goods and pirated items
- Counterfeit notes and coins
- Protected wildlife
Violators of laws related to illicit drugs, e.g., having and holding for use, or being a producer, seller, or transporter are subject to the death sentence.
Restricted Items At Bangkok International Airport.
The following examples require a permit from the government agency in order to lodge the Customs formalities:
- Buddha images, religious or ancient arts, and antiques (Department of Fine Arts)
- Weapons, bullets, and explosive devices (Office of National Police)
- Plants and planting materials (Department of Agriculture)
- Live animals, pets, and animals products (Department of Livestock Development)
- Food and drugs (Food and Drug Administration)
- Automobile parts (Ministry of Industry)
- Cigars, cigarettes, and alcoholic beverage (Excise Department)
- Wireless transmitters ad receivers, telecommunication equipment’s (The National Telecommunications Commission)
If the total value of a passenger’s accompanied items is more than 80,000 baht, the passenger is required to do the Customs formalities at Customs Formality section.Customs agents in Bangkok are quite lenient, and the chances are you baggage won’t even be checked but it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Currency Exchange Thai Baht Is The Local Currency.
You will need Thai Baht to pay for transportation, tips, possibly a deposit at the hotel, maybe a cool drink to help you relax. Several banks have currency exchanges at Suvarnabhumi where you will get the official exchange rate. Change enough funds to last a day or perhaps two … until you can get to a bank or currency exchange around your hotel. Your hotel will exchange popular currencies, but you will get a lesser exchange rate, by as much as 10%. Make sure you have smaller change for the taxi. They will usually claim to have none. Suvarnabhumi has ATM machines where many western credit cards can draw funds. The ATM machines can normally dispense Bt 20,000 per transaction. The limit depends on prior arrangements made with your bank.
Need a Room?
Don’t arrive without a booking. That will only make a long day even longer. Some people don’t want to experience Bangkok’s transportation system until they have a clear head. Fortunately, there are a number of good and reasonably priced hotels around Suvarnabhumi Airport.
Airport Rail Link Sky Train
SRT provides an alternative to Bangkok’s central area. Rail link is new and inviting, but some users have experienced frustrations. Has both express line and ‘standard’ line, each on separate rails. Express sky trains run at 40 min intervals. Express fare is Bt 150 but temporarily reduced to Bt 90. Express stops at Massakam and Phaya Thai stations. Most journeys to central Bangkok involve a Taxi ride or long walk after using the SRT Rail link.
Limousine, public taxis, an airport express bus and a passenger rail system are available from Suvarnabhumi that will take you into Bangkok or indeed anywhere you wish to travel to in Thailand.
Suvarnabhumi Airport Details
- Located in Racha Thewa in the Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan province, 30 km east of Bangkok
- Airport has 2 parallel runways 60 m. wide. One is 4,000 m. long and the second is 3700 m. long
- 2 parallel taxiways accommodate simultaneous departures and arrivals
- 120 parking bays (51 with contact gates and 69 remote gates). 5 gates can accommodate the Airbus A380
- Capacity to handle 76 flight operations per hour, 45 million passengers per year
- Long-term plans (3-5 years) call for 4 runways, 2 main terminals, 2 satellite buildings to serve up to 100 million passengers.
Further useful links – Flight Arrivals Suvarnabhumi