Many expats are in long-term relationships with a Thai girl, so the natural progression is to get married. Of course, you will be deeply in love with your Thai wife, but you will have the added benefit of being able to apply for a Thai Marriage Visa. It will mean that you have a long-term Thai visa that doesn’t have as strict financial criteria as the Thai Retirement Visa, for example.
What Are You Permitted To Do On a Thai Marriage Visa?
The Thai Marriage Visa has very few restrictions, unlike most other visas such as:
- Live in Thailand for one year
- Allowed to work
- If you are over 18 years of age and meet the financial criteria, anyone married to a Thai national can apply
Like most visas in any country, some financial criteria must be met to qualify. It includes:
- Having THB400,000 in Thai bank account for two months before your first application or three months in other years or,
- A monthly income of THB40,000 into the applicants personal Thai account
How Does The Process Begin?
The first part of the process is either changing you existing long-stay visa to a Marriage Visa or making a fresh application for a 90-day outside of the Kingdom as the regular Visa on Arrival cannot be converted. You will then need to provide the following documentation:
- Your Thai wedding certificate
- Proof of income or enough money in a Thai bank account
- Your Thai wife’s passport and ID Card
- A copy of the Tabian Baan
- A hand-drawn map of where you live
Married in the UK?
If you were married in the UK, you would need to get your marriage certificate verified by the British Embassy in Bangkok. You will then need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok to get it checked again, which will then allow you to get the marriage registered at the local Amphur. Once the marriage has been registered in Thailand, you will be able to apply for your Thai Retirement Visa in the usual manner.
How can Thai Visa Express Help?
Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand or with any issues that you may be encountering with Thai Immigration. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.
Further useful information – https://www.thaivisa-express.com/will-the-changes-to-the-thai-retirement-visa-rules-see-more-people-returning-to-the-uk/