If your Thai wife has been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you have likely discussed the prospect of British Citizenship. The benefits of a British passport and the ease of travel to other countries make it particularly appealing. Some Thai nationals are conscious about becoming a British citizen while others relish the opportunities that it may bring.
What are the basic requirements (for a Thai wife)?
- To have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain– meaning you have spent a minimum of five years in the UK on a UK Spouse VisaTo have passed the Knowledge of Life Test
- To have passed the IELTS English Exam
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have spent no more than 450 days out of the UK in five years with no more than 90 days out of the country in the 12 months before your application
- Be a person of “good character”
- Have a genuine intention to live permanently in the UK
The Application Process
Applying to become a British citizen can be a costly and emotionally draining experience with all cases being carefully scrutinised by the Home Office, especially with tighter immigration laws coming into effect in 2021. You must ensure that you have all the correct paperwork and that all the application forms are completed correctly.
How can Thai Visa Express Help?
Thai Visa Express is a team of professional immigration consultants who are always ready to assist you with your UK visa application in Thailand as well as obtaining British citizenship while in the UK. We have over 15 years of experience dealing with UK visas & immigration daily, and we are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) in the UK. We offer a free 30-minute consultation from one of our designated caseworkers, contact us today.